Saturday, April 7, 2018

A Friendly Kickstarter Chat

This afternoon I reached out to a recently funded Kickstarter game designer, Taylor Hayward.  It was his first campaign for a game, and he was able to achieve $14k for a card game, with 607 backers.  To me this was a pretty solid success story, and I was thankful that he was willing to chat with me on the phone for 15 minutes.
Taylor shared a few things with me, and was very gracious with his time and honest about his responses.  I will keep the summary of his keys to success to three simple points though...
  1. ART - The game art is critical to your success.  No matter how good your game may be, the art is the finishing seller of your product.  It needs to stand out, and it needs to connect with your audience.
  2. HOW TO PLAY - Your campaign page needs to stand out visually, but more importantly it needs to show potential backers how to play the game... in an interesting and visual way.  They should be able to learn the basics of your game simply by scrolling through your campaign page.
  3. COMMUNICATION - You need to get the word out about your game, kickstarter launch, and constant posts/discussion about your game throughout the campaign.  Taylor highly recommended using one of the Kickstarter Experts that are available to support you (at a % fee of your fundraising).
I will attach a pic of Taylors game below, and I want to extend a thank you to him again for taking time out of his day to share his Kickstarter experience with me.


An elegant, highly unique, portable, strategy card game set in ancient Northern Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment